Skip to main content

Putting Down Roots

Prison or death - I didn't care which

Dec 5 2006
http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/
By Richard Porritt

FORMER homeless junkie Joey Greaney battled back from the brink and is now clean.

The 32-year-old has a roof over his head, a newborn baby and a future.

And he says he has St Mungo's and its Putting Down Roots project to thank. This is his incredible story.

He said: "I was heavily addicted to crack for 10 years.I just looked out for myself and hurt people every day in the things I did. "I was always looking for the easy way to make money.

"I am so ashamed when I look back - especially at the way I treated my mother.I stole from her and lied to her. "I knew I would either go to prison or die.It didn't matter to me.It was my life and the way I lived. "In June 2005 I was on parole for theft. "One of the conditions of my parole was I go into rehab for my crack addiction.

"To be able to go into a treatment centre I had to be clean for 10 days. "My parole officer asked me about skills and training.I had none. "I told her I liked gardening as I had once mown someone's lawn. That is when she got in touch with St Mungo's.

"Within a week I had started as a volunteer on St Mungo's Putting Down Roots (PDR) programme. "Although I only had to be clean for 10 days to qualify for a place at the treatment centre,I was clean for three weeks because of St Mungo's.

"I volunteered with St Mungo's every day. The programme gave a structure to my life - I'd never had that before. "It made it easier to change my lifestyle as I was out all day working. "It gave me something to look forward to and a goal to work towards,to get into rehab and to get me through rehab.

"It gave me hope for the future and helped me be more determined to get clean for good. "I came out of rehab and immediately started volunteering with Putting Down Roots.

"If I hadn't I probably would have relapsed. PDR gave me confidence and self-esteem. "I was achieving something for the first time in my life.The staff are practically social workers not just gardeners. "In March 2005, St Mungo's had a vacancy for a gardener trainer. Phil and Patrick [St Mungo's staff] encouraged me to apply for it.

"The interview was the first one I had ever had for a job.The staff had given me some advice,but when I went in I just told the truth. "I told them what getting the placement would mean to me and how I'd make the most of the opportunity.

"I now mostly work in community gardens. The gardener trainer placement is very practical and results in an NVQ first level gardening qualification. "At the same time St Mungo's have helped me get on and paid for a six-month City & Guilds horticultural qualification.

"It is still really hard to believe that people want to help me. "Sometimes I sit in front of the guys in St Mungo's office and they are offering me more and more help. "All that goes through my mind is that I don't deserve this. "When the placement finishes,I know I'll get a job.I am carving out a career for myself. "I am really looking forward to it. My confidence and self-esteem have completely changed for the better.

"I have been clean for just over a year now and my life has totally changed. I have a baby daughter who is a few months old. "It is amazing I can support her doing something I absolutely love. "Just 12 months ago I was a different man. St Mungo's offered me a chance I never thought I'd have.They really have given me the opportunity to start a new life.

"They have helped me deal with the problems in my old life and given me the support to go on to something better."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RT @princesswales22: Come and sign the petition against corporate chains coming to Primrose Hill, glass of mulled wine too!

New SHG Sign

North Road Islington

The killers of Ben Kinsella were gangster wannabes * * By Ryan Parry 12/06/2009 (L-R) Alleyne, Braithwaite and Kika (Pic:Met Police) (L-R) Alleyne, Braithwaite and Kika (Pic:Met Police) As members of the Market Massiv' gang, Michael Alleyne, Jade Braithwaite and Juress Kika demanded respect and loyalty. They fancied themselves as gangsters but in reality they were drugdealing cowards, armed with guns and knives, who needed ferocious Staffordshire bull terriers for protection. After gang leader Alleyne, his deputy Braithwaite and the lowly Kika were convicted of Ben Kinsella's murder, a source close to the group - too scared to reveal his identity - broke ranks to speak to the Mirror. He said: "They thought they were real bad boys walking round with their Staffs and a knife in their pocket. Mikey (Alleyne) had two Staffs and thought he was untouchable. This was his manor, no one could come down here and f*** with it. "They worked in twos for protection and they...